Sweeten up your Stranger Things party with these delicious Eleven’s Eggo Cupcakes! Cinnamon nutmeg cake topped with maple syrup buttercream and a mini waffle!
I fell into the upside down. Okay that might be a bit of a stretch, but like most of American I am completely in love with Stranger Things. I try really hard not to go on Netflix binges – One because I really don’t have the time and two because I’m scared I’ll turn into a vampire because I won’t see light for 3 days. BUT it happened. I binged. More than once, I binged. And then I bought the games, and the merch, and I even designed my own logo. Pretty sweet huh?
So here’s the thing. I feel like I’m not allowed to say that it makes me feel nostalgic because while I am definitely a baby of the 80’s (hands up 1987!) I am a child of the 90s. That’s not to say that I didn’t grow up watching The Goonies and Care bears, jut that it doesn’t actively remind me of my childhood. What Stranger Things does, however, is make me feel like I’m rediscovering something. Like when my dad kept us up late at night listening to his records – I’d grown up listening to that music but actually going through it with him was a completely new experience. Maybe it’s like a time capsule the previous generation buried? Maybe? Hit me up if there is an actual term for this. I feel like I’m really confused in general as to whether I’m actually a millenial or not.
Okay, enough exposition. Let’s make some cupcakes! I kinda love these because I can totally lie to myself and say they’re also breakfast… because ya know eggs, milk, butter, waffles … syrup. Breakfast.
Stranger Things Eleven’s Eggo Cupcakes
Time: 1 hour
Cost: $10 or less
Chance of getting sucked into the Upside Down: IDK, maybe like 3?
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 tblsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter - softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º and line cupcake pan with liners
- Combine ingredients into large mixing bowl and mix until fully combined
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full or use a large ice cream scoop for perfectly even cupcakes every time
- Bake for 15-20 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool
- Whip butter, syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla until creamy
- Slowly add in powdered sugar until you have the desired consistency
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes with a #1M decorating tip
- Toast waffles until they're rigid, let cool and place on each cupcake.