I may have missed shark week, but you know what I did not miss? SHARKNADO!!
Yes, yes, I know. Sharknado Chelsea? Really? To which I emphatically reply YES! Those movies are the epitome of cheesy sci-fi and I adore them. We’re coming up on 4 now and I’m excited for all of the random cameos, really stupid ways they kill sharks (and people) and the drinking game we’ll probably play during it. This will be year number 3 (we didn’t do one for the first Sharknado) that my friends and I have done some type of Sharknado cookout or party. This year promises to be epic because I’m helping thrown that party with a friend at her beautiful home!
Are you going to watch it? Will you snap me your MST3K references? (I’m @ChelseaRiot on Snapchat!)
However, all of this being said, you’re probably like me in that you’re really excited about this television event and you wanna look festive but you’re really lazy and don’t feel like making anything. Wow, that was a really long sentence. Anyhoo, I’m right there with you. I’m going to grab some felt and an old shirt over here and show you how to make a really cool and really simple Sharknado Costume shirt. Come follow along so you can look super creative at your own sharknado viewing party…. even if it’s just you and your cat (yes, I went there. Deal with it)
Time: 30 Minutes or Less
Cost: $10 + Shirt
Cuteness level: 10!
DIY Sharknado Costume Shirt
1. Stack your stitch witchery between your felt and use the chalk to draw a half circle. (More like an open mouthed frown)
2. Cut out your half circle and separate the layers. On the adhesive backing of the white felt, draw teeth and cut them out.
3. Stick the teeth on to the red felt.
4. Fold the shirt in half by matching up side seams and iron. Then place the Stitch Witchery and felt teeth side up onto where you want your shark mouth to be.
5. Lay your damp washcloth or fabric trimming over the shark mouth. With the Iron on “Wool” setting press and hold the iron for 10-15 seconds over the area. Don’t slide the iron, just place it down then pick it up and move to another area. Let it all cool down then do the other side of the applique the same way.
6. Wear to your sharknado costume party, shark week event, or just for every day wear… because it’s that cute!
And you know you’re watching for some of this awesomeness!